View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone Else Keep Their Kids Off Dairy? Gluten? Food Dyes? Processed Foods? Etc?

I used to be a lot more hardcore about what we ate. Not gluten or dairy free or any other required restrictions, just more whole foods, more organics, purposeful avoidance of certain things like hfsc and preservatives, etc. I was working to overcome GMO's, like corn, soy, and sugar beet products. But life and finances and time all got in the way and every other family member has been highly resistant of even slow diet change, so we're back to where we started, essentially. And you know what? I feel like crap almost all the time. I'm tired all the time. My gut is a mess if I don't take a fiber supplement every day. My oldest is an emotional wreck. Hubby is tired all the time. Our sex drives are lacking. Do I think it's the food? Yep. Is there anything I can do about it? *sigh* I don't know.

Part of the problem is that *I* don't like lentils or collard greens and a bunch of other healthy stuff. So I never serve it and therefore no one else in the family will eat it. Even the veggies I do like are rarely served because I'm the only one who will eat them. Not worth even cooking when I'm pressed for time as it is.

It's a cycle I don't like being in at all. I want to feel better, I know the high price of good food is worth it, but over my dead body am I spending that kind of money on uneaten food. Whether my kids were born picky eaters or I made them picky - I have no idea, but I don't even know where to start to fix this mess we're in.

That said, we are trying to eliminate food dyes from my oldest DD's diet. She's an emotional mess and I want to see if it helps her. Preliminary evidence suggests that she IS affected by dye, but it's still an ongoing process.

I have nothing to add, really, since the only thing we've even ventured into is hfsc and dye, but hats off to anyone who can get their kids to eat super healthy foods all the time. I saw a picture of a friend's kid on facebook eating lettuce and tomatoes and rice (like the inside of one of those fancy burritos) and I was insanely jealous because none of my kids would touch any of that with a 10 foot pole.

But as it stands, I'm just a health food wannabe at this point.