View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

I always save bacon fat and keep it in the fridge. I use it to season cast iron, rub on potatoes before baking, cook greens in it, add it to dried beans while cooking, grease pans with it, add it to canned veggies while they are simmering.

It's really good to make white gravy with too.

Here's a basic recipe that's really easy and really good:

White Gravy:
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk warm
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly about 1 minute. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 minutes, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.

Easy biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick very cold butter, grated
3/4 cup milk

Put the stick of butter in freezer for a few minutes so it gets really cold but not frozen. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Using a cheese grater, grate butter into mixture. Use your fingers to lightly mix in the butter until it all begins to look like cornmeal.

Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Gently knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary, it needs to be a little sticky but not wet. Roll or pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or the top of a glass dipped in flour.

Grease the bottom of a cast iron skillet or baking sheet and place biscuits in pan/sheet. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown.