View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #54
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post

It's easy to talk about the low risk of something occuring until it happens to you. I would never hope anything to happen to anyone; if it does it can completely shatter your world. Being that statistic is horrible and the guilt that can come from that is rough, knowing there was prevention. I know I didn't fully understand until I was a small percentage.

My entire point was, MOST of us don't walk around wearing bullet proof vests in the off chance that we might get shot on the way to work one day. Could it happen? YES. MOST of us don't have basements lined with thick concrete, that go miles into the earth, so that we can be safe in the off chance that a nuclear bomb hits. Could it happen? YES. MOST of us don't wear a life jacket when we swim in the family pool in the off chance we get tired and drown. Could it happen? YES.

My whole point was - things happen. It sucks, but life isn't this thing where we can predict and eliminate every possible awful thing that could go wrong. If we all start getting worried about every thing that COULD go wrong and then taking preventative measures to stop them, we'll all be really bored, really fast.

GBS, IMO, is just like everything else. There is a risk involved, just like I take a risk when I walk with my kids 2 blocks to the library. How high is YOUR (general YOUs here) risk? Is it worth it TO YOU to get abx? I can't answer that question for someone else. But I can answer it for ME and MY baby. If someone else is really set on getting them, I don't see why they shouldn't have access to them. But if another person feels GBS is just not a big enough threat to get all worked up over, I don't think that person should be made to feel like they're irresponsible or stupid. You evaluated the risk and decided you didn't like the odds. I evaluated them and decided it wasn't a big deal. We can BOTH still be good moms and make different choices.

Just like to you, walking 2 blocks might seem dangerous. We could get hit by a car, shot, one of my kids could run and get run over, a dog could attack us, a tree could fall on us, we could get hit by lightning....... To me, it's not a big deal.

Same line of thinking with GBS. The risk is not worth it to you. That's ok. The side effects of IV abx are not worth it to me. And that is ok too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
if something as easy as taking antibiotics during labor can make a significant impact on the likelihood of my baby dying from gbs, then I will do it. thrush is not life threatening.
Thrush can be a complete nightmare, and GBS is *USUALLY* not life threatening, just like thrush *USUALLY* isn't. Both can cause serious issues if not handled properly. I'm sorry you don't think it's a big deal. I disagree. My DD is almost 6 and STILL has an immune system that can't keep yeast issues at bay. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote