Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: I need help

hm ok, I just skimmed but... here is my two cents and what worked for us.

We kind of made it a game.

We have a big whiteboard on the wall that I use for school. And After we learned the alphabet, we learned the letter sounds. I would say "A makes the sound Ah-Ah-Ah" and we would clap for each Ah. Then we'd do a scavenger hunt and find objects around the house (and while we were out and about) finding things that start with an Ah sound - or the letter A. Repeat for each letter.

Then, when they had the sounds for each letter real solid, we moved on to words. And this part was fun for us. They would give me a word, and I would write it on the board, and each letter would be inside a block. And I said "when we make words, we have to BUILD them out of our letter sounds." And for some reason the idea of BUILDING a word is just more fun and exciting than reading and writing. And we did this for lots of words, even long ones. And we did this FOR-EV-ER. lol.

And then we combined it with reading. I let them each pick out one book, something they love. We snuggle up on the couch and I start reading. I point to each word and sound it out as I read it. I only do that for a few pages. Then I read a sentence but come to a word and stop. They are so excited about the book, and wanting me to continue that they start trying to sound it out, while I act confused. Once we sound it out I go another page or two. Rinse and repeat. They are trying to read without really even realizing it.

I dunno if that helps at all. But it has worked for us. My almost 6 y/o can read very well, and my 4 y/o is starting to read on his own now. And this is what I've always done.

Also, if you have sight words, you can make a simple "book" with your LO. Have him/her draw all the pictures (well if they love to draw - mine do) and let them help you write the story. It doesn't even have to make sense. The point is to get them involved with helping to make the book b/c then they will be more excited about reading it.

What kind of learner is your LO? My DS is a kinesthetic learner and has to move. So he is more interested and pays closer attention if I can make it into a game. You can do hopscotch with the alphabet letters and do a few each day, and when they land on the letter, they have to say the sound it makes.... there are a ton of games you can use....I'll stop babbling.

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote