Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help

I would seriously consider having your child tested for dyslexia. We did this for free through our local school district. Also, check out the book "Overcoming Dyslexia" which has great info about dyslexia as well as some great screening information.

We tried everything - eye tested, different programs, lots and lots of reading, waiting it out - nothing ever worked. Turns out, 20% of the population is dyslexic - that doesn't mean, of course that 20% cant read - there is a wide continuim of dyslexic symptoms from mild to severe.

Anyway, after we got him diagnosed, I began the process of looking for treatments - found a great program that homeschoolers can use. Barton Reading and Spelling. It is expensive, but it has FANTASTIC resale - so over time the out of pocket isn't that much. Also, it is a FRACTION of the cost of having a child treated/tutored at a center.

On average, it takes about 3 years to bring a dyslexic student up to grade level. My son has made at least a 1 year jump since we began the program less than 6 months ago. Prior to that, he COULD NOT learn anything related to written language and have it stick. This all sticks and moves forward. Its slow (the movement), but at least it is moving!!!
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote