Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stealing her infancy...a worried momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
My first 2 were 19 months apart. The next one came when my youngest was 2.5. My next will be born the same month my youngest turns 2.

None of my kids ever had trouble adjusting, they all feel well loved, and we have plenty of time for them all.

Remember that newborns sleep a LOT for the first 3 months. You will have plenty of time to snuggle your 2 y/o.

I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but these things DO work themselves out.

Try to think of how EXCITING and FUN it will be for Josie to be a big sister!!! Instead of focusing on her not being a baby anymore. If you approach it that way, it can change your feelings, and can help influence her to feel involved and excited with you! instead of apprehensive or anxious.

There is a lot she can do to feel a part of it all. She can help you "pick" out clothes for the new baby. She can help by bringing you diapers. She can sing to the new baby.

And to help your mommy guilt, read stories to her when the newbie is asleep and rock her, just like you want to.

Don't worry it DOES work.
Exactly.

I have 6 kids. My oldest (a singleton) was 26 months when my first set of twins was born. He totally got it and understood that the babies who were growing in my tummy were the same ones now in my arms. He was perfectly fine and had no adjustment or transitional issues. My older twins were 27 months when my second set of twins was born (making my oldest 4.5). Again, no issues at all. Now, I just had my 6th. My younger twins were slightly older. They were almost 2.5 yrs when this baby was born 3.5wks ago. Actually, we've had more issues this time. My younger twins had a little bit of jealousy and acting up, but overall everything was fine and they are over the issues already.

Your fears are totally normal. However, it will work out just fine and your 2 year old is not being deprived at all. She is going to love being a big sister.