View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do your pregnancy symptoms decide how many kids you have?

We've got baby #2 on the way and we're thrilled. I always knew in my heart we would have at least 2 kids. We go back and forth on whether or not to have more. And it's a little strange not knowing if we'll have more. Both pregnancies have been very planned, but after this one there is a real unknown of whether to keep baby stuff etc. I will be holding the little squishy and not knowing if there will be any more.

The open-endedness is kind of nice so we can go with how we feel I guess. But unfortunately both pregnancies have resulted in really icky symptoms. And it occurred to me that that might be the deciding factor. It doesn't seem like that should really determine how many kids we have, but man this pregnancy thing doesn't agree with my body!

Less than a week in I started having really bad nausea. By 2 weeks I was basically bedridden agonizing with all-day nausea (sometimes vomiting too). Even with medication and trying all the little "tricks" I was miserable. 8 weeks of being unable to sit upright, let alone stand, for more than 10 minutes. Too miserable to even watch TV. Lots of weight-loss and 2 trips to the ER for severe dehydration. It was in these throws of agony that DH had the nerve to ask "no more kids?" Parking it on the couch all day while the 1 year old runs around all day and cries is not fun, probably even not-funner with 2 running around.

The last few weeks haven't been nearly as bad and I've even been able to leave the house and cook a few meals. And I'm only throwing up 5 or 6 times a week - woo hoo! So much better! But now come all the other symptoms. I'm already getting up at least twice at night to pee. A couple of times I've had REALLY bad constipation. There's dozens of other annoying symptoms I'm sure you're all aware of. And now my dreaded pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome. My left wrist is really staring to hurt with very minimal movements. I'd forgotten how much it hurts, it's hard to do things when your hands hurt so bad. Last time it went away instantly after giving birth. If someone tries to tell me I'm glowing I might try to punch them in the nose.

I guess I'm just wondering if I should let these pregnancy symptoms be the deciding factor on whether to have more kids or not. I feel so blessed and fortunate to have my health and the opportunity to have healthy children. It feels unfair that I could let those symptoms get in the way when others would change places with me in a heartbeat to get to "choose" whether to conceive a baby or not. Ya know?
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote