View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Finally seems to be nursing, but where do we go from here?

A little backstory: I was unable to nurse DS1 so I really had no idea what I was doing the 2nd time around. DS2 latched on after birth, though he needed some help. He had a hard time latching on through the first 1-2 days, and at the end of day 2 was admitted to the CCN due to neonatal withdrawal and remained there for 3 weeks. I was able to get up there to nurse him once per day, though sometimes up to 3 times. He continued to have the latching issues until one of the nurses (training to be an IBCLC or whatever letters they are lol) gave me a nipple shield and it worked like a charm.

He either nursed only a few minutes or ate lazily for over an hour. And would alway stake a bottle afterwards, its what the nurses told me to do. He has a really hard time with bottles though, he chokes and gags and just inhales the milk. They did check his oxygen during this and it was fine. Once he came home I attempted to just nurse him and only pump a few times instead of EPing but he seemed to have lost weight a few days later (though this was on a new scale and the pedi never said anything) and I got super nervous, plusmy supply was dropping.

Okay, so today, at almost9weeks old he's pretty much all bottle fed, and we've finally found a few bottles that work okay for him (Breastflow- awesome!, Tommee Tippie and Dr. Brown Preemie nipples both work okay as well). I tried to nurse him at least once per day, with the shield still (screams bloody murder at my bare nipple) some days he'd take it like a champ, other times he wanted nothing to do with it. So I've been EPing since day 2 and now have a crazy oversupply that 've become very attached to lol. Well, thepast few days he's been nursing better than ever. If I try to nurse before pumping, when it's been 3 hours or more since the last pump, he latches right on and goes to town, rarely pops off, and goes right back if he does. He doesn't nurse for long, 5-10 minutes, but that's straight sucking. He only really wants my right side though. My left takes too long to let down I think. Tonight he nursed and Ipumped afterwards, it had been 3.5 hours so I should have gotten at least 3.5oz from that side. Instead I only got 2.5oz. Does that mean he actually at at least an ounce???? I got 4.5oz from the other side, like usual.

I have an appt with a LC Wednesday. I don't know what to do until then though. Do I stop pumping completely and just offer my right side and try the left? Nurse fromthe right and pump from the left as usual? Offer each tie he's hungry and just pump afterwards? I desperately want him to start nursing but I'm paranoid to break up with the pump and possibly lose my supply. I mean, I have 1300oz in the freezer that I just can't fathom not using. But getting him to nurse is so important to me! I had super low supply with his brother which is why I'm so attached to my oversuppy this time I think.

ahhh any advice? lol

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote