Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: C-section ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileysmama View Post
So I am due with my 3rd LO in February. Due to some complications with DD2 (brain hemmorhage which led to seizures/stroke) my husband and I were worked up for bleeding issues/disorders etc. Turns out that while they do not believe that it caused my daugther hemmorhage, we are at risk for having a baby that has neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Because of this our doctor feels that a C-section this time around is best. I'm not crazy about the idea, but am accepting of the fact that it truly is best for baby. I'm still freaking out about it though, and have a TON of questions.
1) How soon before I can hold my baby?
2) How does the csxn affect breastfeeding? How soon can I breastfeed? I've dealt with oversupply with my other two, but I've heard planned csxns often struggle with supply?
3)With my vaginal births I never took anything other than motrin...obviously I'll likely be needing something stronger this time around. How has this affected your LOs when breastfeeding?
4)How soon before usually before you're in a postpartum room typically?
5)I desperately want to be able to see my other 2 girls that afternoon/evening. They are 4 and DD2 will be 21 months when I have this LO...I don't want to traumatize them either...will it be appropriate for them to visit?
6)I'm assuming I'll need someone with me the first night especially if I want to keep baby with me, but I prefer DH to go home with the others kiddos to try and keep things as normal as possible. Will I need someone after the first night with minimal help from the nurses or would I even be able to keep baby with me?
7)How awful is it going home...especially with older kiddos (DD1 is 4 and fairly independent, but super active...and sassy. DD2 again will be 21 mos., and she's super attached to me now). I've told DH that he needs to take at least 2 weeks off of work. Will that be enough? Getting others to help is kind of a pain b/c my MIL is super sweet, but drives me nuts so she's only helpful in small doses, my mom usually watches my sister's kids (and not really well) so I end up with 4 kids tearing my house apart instead of just my own 2, and most of my close friends also have kids so I really don't want to burden them...plus again some of them it ends up being more like a circus than any help with the addition of their kids.

Lastly, what kind of things will I need/make thigns easier in the hospital and at home. Can anyone reccomend an abdominal binder? If you've used one did it seem to help?

Ughh thinking about this is giving me anxiety.
I'm now expecting my 5th (which will be my 5th C/S) so I'll share what I've learned along the way :
1) As soon as the baby is born you can ask to hold he/she right away - just keep asking and reminding everyone you want to. They will need to take the baby to wrap he/she up before long b/c it is so cold in the ER but they can pull the baby's warmer so that you can see what's going on and as soon as the baby's wrapped up they should let you hold he/she again - keep asking them to and remind them you want to (or have DH do so). Tell the nurse who will be with you in the OR too - she will stay with you from before the C/S, through the C/S, and then after the C/S - she is a good advocate for you.
2) 4 C/S and I've BF each child as long as I've wanted without any issues - they should let you try to BF in the recovery area/room - ask them to bring the baby to you if they don't offer - get DH to ask - get your nurse to ask if need be. You can BF in the recovery room - usually an hour or so after delivery if not before that. I have had 4 C/S (3 planned) and never had a supply issue.
3)You NEED the pain meds - take them - take them like they direct. This will help you get better sooner...help you get up and walking sooner and help you A LOT when you get home (keep taking them at home)...they won't affect the baby much - if anything the baby might be a little sleepy but they are at that age anyway so I've never been sure if they notice the meds at all in the baby.
4)Right after recovery - as soon as you can lift your bottom off of the bed without assistance - generally around 6 hours or so after your C/S is complete...enjoy recovery they can give you morphine there - ask them to give you a final dose before you leave - it's much harder to get it outside of the recovery area and you'll need it when you have to start moving your self to the regular hospital bed and when all of your feeling begins to return.
5)It would probably be appropriate for them to visit shortly. Depending on the time of your C/S - if it's like 7AM a short visit would probably be good for all of you - but a SHORT visit...you are going to be tired and in pain and if they stay to long they'll want to climb all over you if they are like my kids .
6)You don't HAVE to have someone with you. The nurses are on call all the time. They will let you keep the baby with you as much as you want to (at almost any hospital now days)...it would be easier if you had someone with you or if you send the baby to the nursery and simply ask them to bring the baby to you when the baby is hungry...you need rest and you won't be able to change a diaper, get the baby out of the bassinet or anything like that - plus you'll be TIRED!
7)Going home is an adjustment - let things go and don't stress about the normal stuff like laundry and cleaning. If people want to help ask them to bring you dinners you can freeze and re-heat, come alone and do laundry, or vacuum or mop or take your kids to the park or something to give you a break. You will need to ask your dr. about driving - when they will let you drive again - based on meds and such. You should ask how long they will put you on pain meds. You need someone with you or at least with your kids while you are on pain meds - you are not yourself then and you will sleep more b/c your body needs it. Once you are off pain meds you will probably be ok by yourself but if your 21 month old NEEDs to be picked up this will be an issue since you shouldn't pick her up for a while (ask you dr. exactly how long - could be as much as 6 weeks)...move her to a toddler bed before the baby is born so she can climb in and out...she'll get move used to not being picked up as you are towards the end of the pregnancy anyway (you'll be big and she'll be heavy ). If you have family and friends that can help and want to help ask them to take the kids somewhere and give you a break so their kids are wearing you out too...or ask them to come alone and help with household stuff so you don't have to do it.

I hope that helps - the 2nd C/S is generally easier than the first so know that ahead of time. GL and feel free to PM me if you think of anything else you want to ask .