View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #76
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Lil Shamrocks - Oct 29 to Nov 11

I think he may not be ready but I like the idea of having him sit on the potty while watching a movie. Here is how I potty trained 3 kids (I raised my siblings). I get a kitchen timer and set it for 30 minutes, when it dings we all go to the potty. Usually the first day I demonstrate first then have the child go. I keep a jar of gummy bears (all fruit based, no sugar) next to the sink. If they make pee pee or boom boom in the potty they get a bear after they wash their hands. Honestly, it gets to the point where the timer goes off and they get excited! I do this for a full day, diapers on for naps and nite nite. So you need to be home for a day. Then I have the child help me say good bye to the diapers and I let him pick a couple favorites to keep for night time. I replace the diapers with "big boy" unders of the child's choosing. Then when you go out in public you potty before you leave, as soon as you get somewhere and before you leave anywhere. Bring a bag of gummy bears with you. If an accident happens then go back to the car and change clothes. I used to bring at least two pairs of unders and bottoms in those first few weeks.
Boys are much harder then girls. My girls took about 2 days to get the hang of it at home and about a week out in public. The one boy I trained took almost a month for public but was mostly trained at home in a week. Take a deep breath and try to relax, no one wants a potty complex!