View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
update: saw LC, would love more advice!

Update 11/15

I met with the LC yesterday and it couldn't have gone better. Which, after getting constant bad news it seemed while in the NICU, was a breath of fresh air. Vinny of course decided he'd rather sleep than nurse but did lazily nurse for about 10 minutes. His latch was perfect, everything was perfect really. She weight before and after, and almost fainted when she sawthe after weight. He took 1.5oz in that lazy session! Then took another .5oz on the other size still sleepy. She was super impressed as she didn't expect him to have gotten much at all. So he obviously knows what he's doing!

She did tell me he has an underbite which is causing him not to get a tight seal, so he does need the nipple shield right now. The underbite has gotten better which is why he's now nursing (that and he's finished his meds which was a sedative). She thinks he will eventually grow out of needing the shield as he gets bigger and his seal gets better. He kept bobbing and playing with the bare breast but wouldn't latch to it yet. But much improvement over the screaming fit he used to have at the mere site of my bare breast.

Since Tuesday morning he's only had 2 bottles, is soaking his diapers, and had 2 poops in a row yesterday (unusual for him). The poop smells better and isn't nearly as runny. Is that normal? Could the expressed milk have been going bad or been contaminated?

She told me to continue regular pumping sessions 3-4 times per day for about a month then cut back to 1-2 then only for comfort. But I don't see the need. I def. still need to pump for comfort sometimes. I just can't see when it would be smart to pump, he's not nursing on a set schedule so if i pump to empty after he eats what happens if he wakes up 30 minutes later wanting to eat? At the same time I don't want tolose my supply either. Would love some advice there!

Thanks mamas, it feels great to say I'm officially a breastfeeding mama!

----

After more than 2 long months of EPing, DS2 has been nursing all day! He only had 1 bottle at 8am, whichist he last time I pumped as well. And he's even taking the "evil" left boob he doesn't like!

With a bottle he would eat 2-4oz every 2-4 hours. Today he's nursed every 30minute-2 hours, sometimes a tad longer. 10-30 minutes total time. He seems very happy afterwards or falls asleep. I think he's latching correctly; we still need the shield and its usually filled with milk afterwards.

I'm going to see an LC tomorrow and wen she called to confirm nd get some details she told me to continue pumping 3-4 times per day. I just pumped now at 6:30pm (last time was 8am) and got 8oz from the left and 6oz from the right. I typically get 1-2oz p hour per side, r 50-60oz per day. Major oversupply. He's had plenty of wet diapers, no dirty yet but that'snot unusual at all.

How should I work nursing with pumping? Any advice on wher eto go from here? Thanks!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!

Last edited by crunchymom2b; 11-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote