View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD: Talking to kids about religion?

I've found myself in kind of an odd situation that I'm not sure how to approach. My 5 yr old DS was recently at a birthday party for one of his classmates. While there I was having a conversation with the boy's grandmother about religion. My degree is in religious theology, essentially comparing and contrasting different religions and trying to understand why religions exist and why people believe in spiritual entities. The grandmother thought it was fascinating and we really did have a great conversation. I frequently talk to other adults about religion, typically in an academic, introspective setting. I didn't really think anything else about the conversation until tonight.

The mom of the boy just texted me with an odd request. Her 8 yr old daughter recently came to her with lots of questions about religion and why people believe what they believe. She told her daughter that she wasn't really qualified to answer those questions, but that I was! She asked if I wouldn't mind bringing DS over for a play date so I could talk to her daughter about religion. I've only met this mom once and while her daughter was at the party, we didn't speak to each other.

This is a whole new ball park for me. I've never had an experience of speaking to a child about religion other than my own and since my oldest is 5, that experience is very limited. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this. Part of me thinks I should put my degree to good use here. The other part of me thinks kids are very impressionable and this is a conversation for her to have with her parents or a member of their temple. I know the family is Jewish and I mentioned to them that my husband is Jewish and we are raising our kids with Judaism, but I personally am agnostic and I just worry that I will say something to the 8 yr old that will further confuse her.

WWYD?