Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Denied Prenatal Care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
The Dr could be sued very easily. By allowing you in his practice, he's accepting you in a patient-provider relationship. That comes with certain responsibilities on his part. If you go through with your HBAC and transfer to him in an emergency in labor and that emergency has an adverse outcome, you would have very strong grounds to sue, especially considering you had an established patient-provider relationship. Honestly, I wouldnt' accept you as a patient either. It's too much of a liability on my part. Further, I really think it's disrespectful. Like you trust him enough to have him provide you with prenatal care but you don't trust him enough to deliver your baby? Not only that, but by establishing that you are a homebirth patient, you're basically coming right out and saying you're going to be difficult- refusing all sorts of testing that he medically recommends, again putting him at liability. Another reason not to accept you into the practice. I"m not saying it's fun for YOU, but he's doing what he has to do to protect his practice and stay true to his principles.
I have to wonder if you find it equally disrespectful that this doctor basically poo-pooed this mother's desire for a VBAC? Why would she want a provider who tells her on the first visit "you can't do it."?

I think maybe if the doctor had came off as supportive and willing to work to get this mama her desired outcome (not a csection) maybe just maybe she'd want him to deliver her baby. Anyone who told me that I had a 90% failure rate wouldn't be trusted to deliver me, they've already accepted that I'll fail. And that "trial of labor" he offered her sounds like a chance for him to show her that she's part of the 90%. Just my two cents.

OP another poster brought up a good point about how it is important to have a good relationship with your midwife. I've paid several thousand out of pocket for delivery, prenatal care, tub rental etc. And it sucks because I have great insurance from the hospital i work at. My out of pocket with them for everything would have been between $150-300 for hospitalization and doctors visits. But the csection rate is crazy high (probably 35% or higher, its unusual for one of my coworkers to manage a vaginal birth even the ones that really wanted them) in the hospitals that I'd have to go to. And they are routinely pushing people to induce at 38 and 39 weeks for "big babies" etc. and i knew I didn't want that.

But anyways what I am getting at is that i am glad that all of my prenatal care is being done through my midwife; that I have 9 months to get to know her and trust her. When the time comes I implicitly trust in her ability to help me birth my baby safely. I also completely trust her advice, if she was to tell me that I needed to deliver in a hospital for some reason or go through additional testing I'd trust her because I know she wouldn't recommend that unless she felt it was necessary. I can't say I'd feel the same level of trust if I had an OB for all of my prenatal care. I think developing a relationship with your midwife is invaluable.