View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #30
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mommy Mistake - How To Fix? Took Away 5yo's Birthday Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Now, as to dealing with the tantrums...my teenager has been having teenage tantrums lately. And one thing my mom keeps telling me that I keep forgetting is, it's really hard to have a tantrum with an audience. And it's true. The vast majority of tantrums, especially in the younger set, are about the audience and displaying to EVERYONE just how upset/unhappy/angry the tantruming child is. SO, just don't give the child an audience. Walk away. If they follow, then you send them to their room. If they refuse to go, you pick them up and put them there. And, that's not even a time out or a punishment. It's just..."I am not going to listen to your tantrum. When you are ready to stop throwing a fit and listen to me, then we can talk about XYZ. But until then, you go have your fit somewhere else so I don't have to listen to it." And you do your best to completly ignore it. Which can be next to impossible. But really, that type of response isn't even about stopping the behavior, it's just about not subjecting yourself or anyone else in the house to it.

Plus, that time alone, in her room/whereever, she may be able to figure out what works for her to calm herself down.

That sounds like a tough spot to be in, hon. And I can totally relate to taking out my frustration/lack of control over situations by picking fights with DH. Maybe give him a hug later, tell him you made a mistake and offer him a princess cake to make it up?