Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #43
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A note from your child's teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
...this sort of overextension of "what teachers are responsible for" goes beyond your area of specialty & supports the continuing deterioration of teaching as a profession. I don't mean that to say that you're not a good teacher; I have no knowledge of that...I mean that when you say that "it's a courtesy you can afford" for there to be no distinction between your professional time & personal time, it undermines you and others as professionals. I wouldn't dream of expecting my accountant to be available to me after hours, regardless of the number of children she has. Likewise, I wouldn't dream of calling my human resources director at home "b/c I just have a quick question," regardless of her family constellation. Teaching is a profession...I bristle when teachers are treated as less than professionals in general, and I get all when teachers themselves allow themselves to be treated as less than professionals.
This. Times one thousand.

We have all made exceptions at times of extremis. That's not the issue. The issue is that, even though family crisis and a child's education are going to affect each other, the habit of people treating teachers as case workers and schools as social service agencies is problematic. If a teacher happens to "go above and beyond" in a certain circumstance, that's a gift, not an obligation. Being extra super availible sets up unrealistic expectations and burns people out.