View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Re: If you don't buy cows milk...best milk alternative?

Did not read all the replies yet.

But, I have a love for canned coconut milk, the kind you will find on the Asian foods aisle and it is great for cooking and baking. We use it to make to die for tofu and dumplings, soups, cakes and breads of any kind.

The boxed kind (water mostly I think) in the cooler section is just not near as rich or wonderful as canned coconut milk. I also use it for things like thai coconut soup, and in creamy tomato soup. Just add a can of tomato soup, can coconut milk and some basil. It is rich and wonderful. You can also find cream of coconut, it is just more rich. I made a tres leches cake once using only coconut milks/cream - loved it.

tofu and dumplings

coconut cupcakes sub out coconut milk for sweetened condensed milk and water. I ended up using a can of coconut milk and a couple splashes of water to get the consistency I needed. I just used regular tub frosting and these were to die for yummy! I used egg replacer instead of eggs, btw.

I will be making more things with coconut milk soon like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and plan on making a creamy sauce with mushrooms over pasta. I sub out cup for cup where milk is called for, so far, the coconut milk has been incredibly good in everything I have made. I just discovered this love for all things coconut milk in the last six months.

I just don't cook much with almond milk, things don't come out as nicely as coconut milk, but I do like it for over cereal and a glass with a pbj. We use vanilla almond for those instances, but on the rare occasion I use it for cooking, I will use original almond unsweetened for savory things like mashed taters and sweetened vanilla almond for things like pancakes and waffles.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-15-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote