Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #69
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A note from your child's teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I cleaned for a pedi. She gave her personal cell to her patient's parents. The vet we took our cat to had after hours calls directed to his home. The plumbers also gave their home numbers as the after hours emergency contact. I had to call a locksmith to open my car at 5am. My kiddo was locked in the car with my car keys. My knee accidentally hit the automatic lock when I got out. I didn't realise until the door was shut. The number for the locksmith was either his home number or was routed there after hours.

So comparing this with the teachers says that yes it is okay to call after hours.

Now honestly I have never wanted to call a teacher after hours. I have though had a teacher call me. I think it was around 3:30-4:00.

For every week day my kids get off of school I am guaranteed at least 2 automated phone calls from the superintendent of our local schools. Next week I will get at least one call for each child I have in school. For some reason I sometimes get 2 from the principal and 2 from the super. These calls will come in any time between 8am and 9 pm.
You have some unusually available doctors and plumbers. (I never been able to get a plumber to show up on the day he said he would, let alone after hours.) I think that has skewed your expectations.

It is not standard professional behavior to give out personal contact information to patients or clients. A service person (plumber, locksmith) who chooses to answer a business phone after hours is agreeing to work after hours (usually for an inflated rate.)

Setting aside the unusual behavior of your doctors, by giving you a cell number and saying "call me" they are explicitly giving you permission to contact them in this way. The OP did not give out her cell number and say that parents could call her with questions. She used her home phone to contact parents over the summer and the parent presumed that it was okay to call because the number was on the caller id. This is a presumption far beyond what most people would expect when making a work call from a non-work number.

If you don't believe that calling teachers at home is inappropriate, then you are mistaken. It is. No amount of justifying or complaining about the school system's autocall changes that.