View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you figure clothes, furniture, or other irregular items into your budget?

We have a set budget line and amount for clothes (we keep it in cash in an envelope)- it is further separated by dh clothes and me and kids. We will be adding a household line this coming year (for sheets, towels, small appliances, etc as needed) - it will also have a set amount going to it. Appliances and furniture we don't currently have anything set aside and probably won't- we might take household leftover money at the end of next year to start one though. Our furniture is 2 years old and our appliances are 1 year old so we don't have an immediate need for either. We are also adding a tool fund to next years cash envelopes- dh is remodeling our house and does a lot wood working, all our maintenance (cars and house). Twice this year he has needed a tool and ended up taking the money out of our remodel fund- he estimated to the dollar how much he would need for our remodel and we split our monthly budget by that, it did not include tools. Luckily he was able to get some stuff on sale and changed some plans so the remodel fund didn't suffer. We're not taking that chance this coming year.