View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Doulas

It is true that there are many different ways in which doulas practice. There are also lots of doctors, midwives, and such that also practice very differently from each other even in the same field. And yes, some have better methods than others. That is why it is important to choose your care providers carefully.

I think it is very important to clarify the difference between speaking about options and medical advice. Medical advice gives an opinion. Simply telling a mom what her choices are and offering no opinion is not medical advice. It simply means you are well versed in many facets of labor and birth. If you can read, you can learn what birth options are available. Anyone can do that.

That said, many doulas do give opinions, and that is not proper, at least as far as DONA is concerned, because that does border on medical advice which is out of our scope of practice.

I am very proud to be a DONA doula, and it sucks that some women give doulas a bad name. But, I work hard to keep up my reputation and that of DONA and doulas in general. I'm sure I will see a lot of doctors and midwives and nurses that I don't think practice in an evidence-based manner, and whom I don't agree with or get along with, but I will keep it to myself as I attempt to remain professional in all aspects of my job.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula

Last edited by melilo; 11-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote