11-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Someone needs to email me so I can keep it.
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn
Country Fried Steak n Gravy
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 (4 ounce) cube steaks
38 saltine crackers, crushed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 3/4 cups milk
3 1/2 cups peanut oil
1. SPRINKLE salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
2. COMBINE cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
3. WHISK together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
4. POUR oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360 degrees. (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
5. WHISK together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes.
We are a Military family that lives without limits!