View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #38
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential1892 View Post
I used this site to get an estimate of how much I'm spending washing diapers- it takes into account a lot of different variables and seems pretty accurate.
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html
I used this calculator and also looked up water how to figure out water cost per gallon so I could get a better estimate. I also spent the time to figure out how much my detergent plus additives plus softener costs per load.

With all this put into the calculations this calculator estimates I spend $12.60 a month on diaper laundry. Roughly 1/2 what I estimated in my earlier post. Any rinse past the 2 I calculated for costs us an additional 23 cents.

Switching to an HE machine would only save us a whopping $2.20 a month or $26.40 a year on diaper laundry.

Since I already had many of the variables figured out I went ahead and figured out just how much laundre in general was costing us per month. Since the rest of my laundry is on cold it was only $16 per month or $190 per year. An HE machine would save us $39 a year.

So between the between the $26.40 a year on diapers and $39 a year on regular laundry we would save $65.40 a year switching to an HE machine. But the HE machines cost on average several hundred dollars more at the get go. To see any real savings we would have to own the HE washer for at least 5 years and probably longer.