View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Is more than 18% gratuity expected? Im confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
For me I tip a min of 20% unless horrible service. So normal to good gets 20% maybe a bit more, I round up. Excellent gets anything from 23% to 30% Depends on how excellent. One thing or whole time.

My idea of horrible service is very bad. I am a former server and am very forgiving and relaxed as a customer.
Same here. The difference between a stingy tip and a good tip is just a couple bucks. Say we spend $35, I could tip $5.25 at 15%, or $7 at 20% -- why not tip 20%? I'm already out $40.25, why not just be decent to her at make it $42? If someone's really gone above and beyond - talked us through some picky options, helped us clean up a spilled drink or something -- I'll throw a couple more on.

I even had a table once where they were acting apologetic and saying they were on a budget, and tipped really badly (around 5%). Really? Your budget is so tight you can't spare an extra dollar or 2 to make it a decent tip, but not too tight to take your family of 5 to a sit-down restaurant? Do you think the server is just there donating her time to wait on you?

Last edited by momtojande; 11-18-2012 at 08:05 AM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote