View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
cinderella08's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,188
My Mood:
To wean or not to wean....

...that is the question

I'm so confused right now. My 27 month old is still nursing. He nurses to sleep at naptime and bedtime, wakes 1-2 times during the night, nurses first thing in the morning, and then if he's sick or hurt. He'll ask to nurse all throughout the day, but I typically have been asking him to wait or just saying not right now, let's wait til naptime - and he's been pretty accepting.

We just found out we are expecting baby #3 in July! I suffer from endo/adeno and PCOS - both of which cause me to have milk supply issues that are hormonally based. We had to supplement with donor milk for Levi from 2-6 months because he was losing so much weight. I know that tandeming won't be ideal for us because of this - I will need to be very focused on making as much milk as possibly for the newbie.

I can already tell my supply has decreased because he's getting frustrated during nursing and even tells me "there's no milk in this side" after just a few sucks. He's constantly switching sides back and forth, back and forth. I'm really praying my milk does go ahead and dry up so that he'll be 'forced' to wean because there's no milk VS me having to 'force' him to wean just because there's a new baby coming.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Go ahead and start the weaning process? Give it a month or two and see if my milk supply continues to decrease and thus having him wean on his own because there's no milk? Try to let him continue nursing and try to tandem?

Thanks for letting me get that out...
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote