View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #38
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is more than 18% gratuity expected? Im confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
To the bolded, no that's not fine. It's discriminatory to not have a set policy applicable to all diners. A restaurant can not add gratuity to a table of 2 adults + 6 kids, but then give a pass to 8 adults.

To those that get turned off by added gratuity for large parties:
I look at it a couple of ways.
a. If it's restaurant policy, then all servers should stick to the policy to avoid potential ill will down the road. I.e. applying it to a group of ladies spending 3 hours eating salads and splitting appetizers, then not applying it to a party of couples spending $100/head that may include some of the same women who dined frugally in the previous party.

b. Servers may tip pool. We tip pool at our restaurant, and everyone knows that you don't "let it ride" because you feel good about the table when your splitting your tips with 5 others. Guaranteed 20% is better than hoping for 22-25% and getting 12%.

I've also done this on/off for almost 2 decades, and I can tell you that it's better to be fair across the board than risk guts feeling discriminated against, and I can also tell you that taking the guaranteed money has resulted in me getting extra much more often than not including the restaurant's agreed upon gratuity. Then again, I try my hardest to give everyone the best service I can because I respect the money they are spending, and in the case of large parties, I always make sure to tell the guest that gratuity was included, per restaurant policy.
Absolutely. 100 percent bang on.

The next time I'm in RVA, I need to come to your restaurant.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote