View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Waldorf Homeschoolers?

We're presently using Enki, Grade 1 for DS1 who will be 7 at the end of Dec. We considered Live Ed, Oak Meadows, Waldorf Essentials, and Christopherus, but went with Enki because of it's focus on diversity and multiculturalism in the story choices.

I've gotten the impression from a lot of folks -- both here and IRL -- that it's crazy to use a curriculum for Waldorf HS, but we live in a highly regulated state, and TBH, we're still pretty new to Waldorf (really didn't start adopting things like rhythm and toy simplicity until DS1 was 4), not to mention homeschooling, and didn't know any other Waldorf homeschoolers until literally yesterday when I happened on a block drawing class and two different waldorf HS co-ops locally. Everyone else we know is of the school-at-home variety, and I wanted something to guide me, especially this first year of mandated reporting. I love Enki, but it's $$$$, and doesn't have materials past third grade. Enki is not Waldorf, strictly speaking; the founder, Beth Sutton, was a Waldorf teacher for many years, and the curriculum is most similar to Waldorf, though it does draw a bit from Montessori; i think the primary difference between traditional Waldorf and Enki is that Enki draws much more heavily on stories from all over the world, as opposed to strictly using Grimm's for grade one. I think we'll continue with Enki for second grade because I would rather use sages and tricksters than saints and heroes (we're Jewish and don't believe in saints), but beyond that, we'll look at Christopherus, OM, Live Ed, Waldorf Essentials, etc. as well as a diy plan.

You could also find out if there are any Waldorf homeschool groups near your new home; perhaps there's a co-op or a few similarly minded families. Good luck!