View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Rdesonia
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet) I need Vegan help!

Dh has Gout. We have cut out beef but basically if he skips a dose of medication he is in pain. His joints are "the worst" his doctor ever saw. He had surgery last year on his knee and it helped. (He had other damage to his knee so it was not for gout) The insides of his joints were just white and crazy bad build up.

He was told to avoid beef and alcohol. It is not really helping or enough. (DH literally has a limp if he eats a steak! He really suffered after he took a trip to Omaha! He was bad and had a huge steak dinner!)

I really need to start cooking a Low/No Purine diet. Dh agreed that he would go Vegan if it helped. The problem is I don't think a vegan diet would work. He has finally agreed that his health is more important than his taste buds. But I'd like to make the changes as painless as possible.

Foods to avoid : Beef, pork, lamb, organ meats (we don't eat these anyway), seafood, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, oatmeal, dried beans, lentils, peas, fructose (like high fructose corn syrup), high fat dairy, Saturated fats, refined foods (like white bread) etc

He can eat chicken or lean fish (not sure what is lean... tuna, trout, and cod are no-no's). We have access to rabbit but I need to check if that is okay. (I *think* it is)

I thought I was doing good because we ate lots of salads ... but we were eating fresh spinach. I was doing a "no meat" meal once a week but those were often bean/pea soups or alfredo pasta. I'm going to start buying only whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread (we also bake our own and use whole wheat flour), low-fat/no-fat dairy (We can't go 100% dairy free. I'll buy him skim and the kids whole milk), etc)

What Healthy recipes do you have ?

PS...We eat are eclectic eaters. We love Mexican, Curry, Italian, German, Asian, and other ethnic foods. I cook from scratch or part-homemade most meals. Any ideas are welcome! I know we have lots of creative Mommas on here! Thanks in Advance!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 11-19-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote