View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #25
klynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Twin Reality Check

I have 2 boys, 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 and twin 8 month old girls. We found out at 19 weeks at the gender u/s that we were having twins so it was a major surprise. I had been slightly more sick than with the boys, but had no clue until that point. I was very tired and after that it got worse. Thankfully towards the end my parents were able to take the boys for a few days each week so I could get more rest.

I had a fairly uneventful pregnancy although if I overdid it I would get contractions and I ended up in the hospital at 35 weeks from dehydration when I caught a bug. The only other thing was that it was incredibly painful on my body. I am 5'8" and I was HUGE. For the last 2 months (they were born at 37 weeks) I could barely walk my pubic bone/pelvis were so out of whack. And now, even 8 months later I can't sit in a chair for long periods of time as my tailbone is messed up. I've been to a chiropractor and everything. I'm hoping with more time and exercise it will get better. So far I haven't had time for the exercise.

I am a very type A person who doesn't adapt well to change, but I intentionally went into this with NO expectations as to how my life would look and I think that has helped immensely. My husband was able to only work 3 days a week for the first 3 months (and then he was off for the summer) and my parents had the boys while he was working so for the first 4-5 months I was never alone with all 4 kids. I'm honestly not sure how I would have survived without their help. No one else really helped much, no meals or other child care (we have allergies so I have to cook for us and pre-packaged frozen food is out, bummer!).

I have BF exclusively and my girls were tongue tied so it was HARD. I would have given up if I didn't have the previous experience of nursing my boys for over a year each. I'm still dealing with milk blisters and blocked ducts even now, but I manage it. I'm hoping to reach the year mark even and then we'll see how it goes.

I had to let cloth diapering go. My younger son is still in diapers and with the really hard water we have here plus being on a septic system (can't wash laundry back to back) I would have only been able to wash diapers and nothing else. It's sad, but just something we decided we couldn't make work.

My 5 year old really loves to play with the sisters now that they are crawling around and interactive. He goes to school half days so he's a huge help. The 2 year old wants to imitate his big brother, but he's not so gentle so I can't leave him alone with them. And he's a very big handful all by himself!

The girls are starting to play with each other which is fun and keeps them entertained - although we just this week moved them into separate cribs so they could actually get some sleep instead of one messing with the other one.

I can and do take all of them shopping with me. The girls are still self contained in their infant carriers and the boys more or less walk along with me. Sometimes I will wear one of the girls in an Ergo so I have actual room in the cart for groceries. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do when they don't fit in the infant carriers as it will be much harder to take them and set one down to do anything with one hand. I may have to do my shopping at night when I can leave them home!

I guess back to the whole pregnancy/delivery thing... I was actually seeing a midwife until we found out they were twins. In my state they can't deliver multiples so then I had to go to an OB. I hated that and was so pissed that they automatically considered me high risk just because there were two of them. They were in separate sacks otherwise I would have had to go to Seattle to deliver.
I was required to deliver in the operating room, but from the time my water broke to deliver was just barely over and hour and a half and we were at the hospital barely 45 minutes before delivery. They were 7 minutes apart and he was pushing on my stomach to get the second one out fast before there were complications. I guess I should be thankful for that part. I'm still not thankful for the fact that he forced me to have pitocin after they were born, which I'm convinced caused me to have a huge clot and hemorrhage. I lost half my blood. Thankfully I had really good numbers going in so I didn't have to have a transfusion, but I literally was white as a sheet for a couple weeks. Pitocin is supposed to help your uterus contract faster as it's more stretched out with twins (and a third pregnancy), but it also has a side effect of clots and I know that my blood clots easily anyway. I suppose it could go either way, but I never had an issue with my uterus contracting with either of my previous pregnancies so it's just suspicious to me. Plus the fact that out of 5 babies the same thing happened to my best friend with the one time they gave her pitocin. So just be careful if they want to give you that.

I hope this is helpful to you, please ask me any more questions you want!
klynn is offline   Reply With Quote