View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: math suggestions?

I've used a variety of things for my oldest, and TT is where we are now. It's working well.

There have also been a lot of struggles along the way. My dd just hates math.

One of the biggest helps to us recently, is a book I bought 4-5 years ago! It's called Understanding Mathmatics from Counting to Calculus. I broke from our math lessons for a few weeks. In the morning dd and I bunked down on the couch and read this a section at a time. Once it started getting to skills that required more than brain work to solve, we worked out the sample problems given. We're almost up to the pre-algebra topic, which is what she is taking with TT.

After doing this, I went back to her TT. Took all lessons where she got under an 80 and deleted those wrong answers. She went back and redid those problems with no issues and no complaints. After 5+ years of math torture, she is not complaining! And, because I read through all the Understand Mathmatics material with her, I was better able to help her when it was needed.

It's a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. The author wants to make sure people understand math. Not understanding it = hating it. You have to follow the book as he says. It seems silly starting with 'counting' but once you get into it you will see why his instructions are golden.

Now I just have to decide if I continue with Heart of Dakota, and TT for Math for high school. If not, we're going with Bob Jones, and her 9th grade math would need to be an alternate choice as it would repeat what she is doing now. Saxon Algebra 1/2 may be in our future next.

Last edited by 3girlymom; 11-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote