drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Children with Asperger's Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
The best think I learned about aspergers was that they do not have a language delay. Their language is usually above average, and formal. They also can speak about a topic incessantly without reading cues from others that they are done listening.

Sensory issues are usually big, along with above average intelligence. They also seem to have one intense topic of interest of which they know everything about.

My ds shows many signs of Aspergers, but it does not affect him negatively so we have never pursued a diagnosis.

My other dd who is 3 has an Aspergers diagnosis (which I think is not correct) and a pddnos diagnosis from another doctor (which i think is correct). She had a significant speech delay and it just doesn't fit with Aspergers diagnostic criteria.

Start with your pediatrician and see if you can get an eval done. Good luck!
I wanted to mention about the bolded, while that is usually true, it is not always so. My ds lost speech at age one and has been severely delayed until recently(age 9). And he is still somewhat delayed.
He is incredibly smart, but processes things differently, has sensory issues, has no emotional response control(he is doing SO MUCH better with this lately), does not "get" social cues, add a little adhd and ocd in there and that about sums it up, lol.
But I would not change anything about him