Thread: PPD?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My ppd was feelings of anger at everyone and wanting to disassociate from baby. I never felt "sad". I also had 0 feelings of baby love. I felt tremendous shame because I thought it was suppose to be instantaneous or pretty soon after birth. A friend (who has three) said the time for bonding varied with each. It took a long time for me to get there.

Technically (for what ever that's worth) its feelings of depression, sadness, anxiety, etc lasting two weeks or more.

Like everyone else has said reach out to someone you trust, get meds if they help, but do not feel ashamed or alone!!!! There are so many moms who have been there and done that. Your baby needs a happy mama.

The "good" part is the new baby doesn't know what you feel and won't remember this period of time.

Best advice my therapist gave me was to stop thinking "I should" thoughts: I should feel love, I should feel happy, I should want to do x y z... Be in the moment and accept it for what it is. If something feels good/nice/pleasant, acknowledge it even if it lasts for a few seconds. It will get better and those moments will get longer and better.

Also, if the first person/med doesn't help, don't stop there and just accept it. Keep reaching out to find someone who can help. It took me a while to find the right team, but once I did things were 100% better.

Last edited by AniMommy; 11-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote