View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have gallstones during pregnancy?

Well well well. Turns out that my horrible m/s probably isn't m/s after all, but gallstones! God, it's horrible!

My stomach hurts when I don't eat yet hurts for HOURS after I do eat... enough to cause terrible nausea and an uncontrollable urge to throw up (even though I haven't yet). And the constant burping up of my food isn't pleasant, either.

Last night I was in horrible pain for about 5 hours after I ate dinner. !!!! I have been in tears so much the past 1.5 week from this... and finally today my mom (who's a naturopath) helped me pinpoint where the pain is coming from. I have a blockage in one of my ducts! Well hell, no wonder eating makes me physically sick. The bile can't get to my small intestine to break up the food and so the food sits in my stomach fermenting and rotting.

Some internet research I did earlier today uncovered that most doctors simply recommend removal and that it can really only be done in the 1st tri of pregnancy (least risk, easier to access the gallbladder, etc.). But that comes with its own set of problems because some people need to be on digestive enzymes the rest of their lives as a result.

Pregnancy causes gallstones in some people because the excess estrogen in the system encourages them to grow. Fasting also can cause them... and since I've been eating very little because everything causes pain, I guess you could say I've been "fasting".

So! I tried a mineral oil pack earlier today which I think helped tremendously at dislodging the blockage. I also went out and bought some Betaine HCl to take with meals. For lunch I had hummus, pita, and a Greek salad and I'm feeling pretty good 2 hours later! I will be taking cranberry capsules in between meals to hopefully help change the pH of the gallbladder and break up the stones.

I hope this treatment continues working for me because I really don't want to end up in the hospital because of this. The pain is almost excruciating.

Anyone else have gallstones? Please tell me how you coped.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote