View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Trying not to judge another mom...

I think regional differences is probably a contributing factor, although you will find uninformed parents pretty much everywhere.

The thing is, there are people who ARE informed who just choose to do things exactly how they want to regardless of the evidence, and then there are those that are very honestly clueless. Just in case it is the latter, I would definitely say something, although you have to be very careful how you say it so that she is more able to listen and less likely to shut you out.

Definitely send a private email/message rather than posting on the blog, and definitely don't be anonymous. (Because how many of us would give serious consideration to an anonymous note criticizing our parenting?) Also I'd definitely save any advice for SERIOUS issues - and, apple juice in the bottle would not be one of those. (Not saying that you were going to say anything about that, just trying to illustrate what I mean by "serious.")

So maybe a nice note that starts out telling her that you love her blog, her baby is cute, wish you lived closer so you could get together for playdates, whatever. And then gently mention the car seat issue. "I don't even try to keep up with all the new advice that keeps coming out for parents all the time, but I have friends who have always made sure I'm on top of the car seat safety advice, since riding in a car is one of the most dangerous things that kids do! And so I thought I'd share with you that the most recent recommendations are to keep kids rear facing for as long as they will fit in the seat - apparently it is much safer than forward facing. The seat that you have is big enough where Billy should be able to fit in it rear facing for a few more years (it's okay for his feet to touch the seat!). If you want more information, here's a link that my friend shared with me. It's a little wordy, but there's lots of good stuff here!" And then share your favorite car seat safety link.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote