View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Monday

Same here. We have to keep on top of the housework daily or it very very quickly becomes overwhelming and too much for any one to deal with.

The kids have to put away their own shoes and coats when they come home, their own lunch boxes, their school bags, their toys (as a group), and the clothes they (themselves) wore that day.

I am strict in that I wont let someone else put away the lunch box from someone else...there are rewards and punishments for doing or not doing a job.

If someone else does your job I cant reward you for it nor can I doubly reward the other person who did your job. I'm not aiming to teach them to get everything for themselves. Just to take care of their own things and to encourage their siblings to do the same.

It's a good system and it's working but still I have the elephant to eat...and to take a big bite of it daily.

I had to do chores as a kid too but their were no rewards and always punishments. The tasks were too big and overwhelmed us kids. We felt we were being taken for granted and abused as child slaves.

I reason with the kids that they aren't doing anything for anyone other than themselves...and in turn doing those things is doing things for me and the family as a whole. If they take care of the things they use it means I am not doing it. If I'm not doing that I have time and more willing (in my heart) to do extra things that I might not have had to do extras like make cookies or cakes or to take them out on afternoons out.

They are seeing the process works and they are getting more out of me and they are enjoying family life more.

Last edited by ~whitehologram~; 11-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.
~whitehologram~ is offline   Reply With Quote