How did you decide where to give birth?
I may be jumping the gun just a bit right now. I just had my first beta yesterday, but I feel like this one is hanging around.
My Peri told me that I could deliver in the hospital where he delivers, or I could deliver closer to home and work with an OB that he trusts (I had a pre pregnancy consult with him). Either way my peri would oversea all of my care it is just who would deliver the baby assuming I get to term. I have to have a c-section so that isn't in question.
Hospital A - Is about 1 hour away (in traffic). We have to pay for parking (last time it was about $15 a day), has a level 3 NICU which we know many of the nurses in, Peri (or one of his partners) would deliver child. Hospital is the oldest continuous operating hospital in the country (started by Ben Franklin) but was getting a face lift to the post pardom rooms when I delivered DS 4 years ago. We wouldn't have to pay for the first copy of the birth certificate. It is easy access from airport as we have NO family nearby so this could be an issue with DS. Unsure if insurance would cover this hospital but I could fight it as they cover the parent hospital. I could get a PET scan shortly after birth to make my oncologist happy and she would get the results in hours.
Hospital B - Is about 30 minutes away (in rush hour traffic, without traffic I would guess about 15 minutes). Is about 5 minutes from DH's work. JUST opened in May so everything is brand new. An OB that is yet to be determined would deliver the baby (my peri is the head of the perinatology department there but doesn't deliver there). They have a PET machine but oncologist is in a different system. The NICU is level 2 and I know no one there. However the neonatologist are from the same hospital that Hospital A gets them from (top 10 in the country... I think #1 but I could be wrong). To get there from an airport you would either take 2 trains and a cab, or go to the more expensive airport and take 1 train and a cab (rental cars are an option but would be more expensive). The first certified birth certificate in this state is $50 (though that is just what I heard, it could be less but I know you have to pay for it). Would have no issues with insurance.
So what would you choose? Hospital B is only an option if I have a pregnancy like DS which is still really in question but I have joked that this will be my easiest pregnancy to date with a well baby so I wouldn't be surprised!
- Wife since 12/2003
with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven
, and 2 delighting me everyday
! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!