Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: So frustrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Actually less than that now. He's only got about 22 weeks of it left. I think I am just going to buckle down and tell him that if he's not going to scoop it atleast every other day, that I am going to get rid of the cats.

Harsh, I suppose, but honestly... with a newborn in the house, I can't have that crap floating through the air. Especially because when sleeping in our room, we are only about 15 feet from it (in the closet). I am just not willing to deal with all of this by myself when the baby gets here. I don't even like cats. ;x
Your entire reason for getting rid of the cats was written in the last paragraph: the dust and not wanting to deal with the litterboxes when you are no longer pregnant. You and your baby aren't in danger from toxoplasmosis after the baby is born. You could negotiate with your husband or even have family members help out while you're prego (you yourself have said that you have never scooped the litter the entire pregnancy).

Only after I questioned your decision to threaten to get rid of the cats did you then start talking about the cats "endangering your unborn baby."

It just seems like you are jumping immediately to getting rid of them without any critical thinking about possible solutions except for getting rid of them. Number one toxoplasmosis is only excreted for several weeks after a cat is exposed, since your cats aren't eating raw meat, going outside or hunting they have pretty much a 0% chance of them being newly exposed and thus giving you toxoplasmosis. Number two you could have them easily tested to see if they carry it and then your worries would be solved.

I still don't advocate that a pregnant woman scoop the litter but I think people use it as a convenient excuse to get rid of animals that aren't convenient for them. I actually had a SIL get rid of two cats because you know, they would suffocate her newborn because cats are notoriously homicidal. Bottom line she could have kept them but she didn't want them anymore and her baby was an easy excuse. So they got dumped at a shelter, which was already overflowing with cats and they were most likely killed.

I won't allow my DH to get a dog because I don't really like them and they are more work than I am willing to do or we have time for. I have turned down family members and friends that have tried to give us dogs because I know they don't fit with our lifestyle and I dont view a pet as a disposable commodity. To each their own but I'd encourage you to at least consider some alternatives to dumping your cats in an already overburdened shelter