crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another relactating question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
Ugh first attempt with the sns was a failure
Don't give up! It took mea few tries to finally get it to work. I know they say not to, but I taped over my areola because that's the only way I could get the darn tube to stay in place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelalynn View Post
I'm just not sure if she'd ever latch. Shes so picky with her bottle nipples, and she was never ebf. Her first two months she was fed TPN via PICC line, and was tube fed part of her nutrition(breastmilk that I pumped). Then, when she was allowed to try to start eating, I tried putting her to breast for a few days. She didn't take to it, and the nurses said she may take to a bottle better. (At that point, the only thing we were waiting on to take her home was for her to eat on her own. And I just wanted her home with me, and figured if the bottle did it, that was ok with me!) So for about 2 weeks she took breastmilk bottles. Then she came home, and we continued doing breastmilk bottles for about 2 weeks, and she would also breastfeed. I never had enough for her to do a full feeding on the breast, but luckily I had milk stored from when she was NPO in the NICU. Once that was gone, we switched to formula. I continued to pump what I could up until about 2 months ago, but wasn't doing it regularly enough. So now I have almost nothing.

So, while she had a few months of breastmilk, she never really breastfed. I just don't know if she'd take to it after this long. I tried to put her to breast earlier today, and she acting like I was torturing her. I don't know if I should if its just going to stress her out... Plus, even at the height of my production when I was pumping 8 times a day, I only got about 2 ounces at most pump sessions. But now she eats 5 oz a bottle. I just wish things would have gone right from the beginning. I always wanted to breastfeed, and it hasn't happened. And doctors say I shouldn't have more children, so its not like I can do differently next time either.....Blah

I hope this was coherent.
Iunderstand That sounds similar to myexperience with our first son. He was never breastfed at all and I couldn't get him to latch no matter what I tried. I endedup pumping for8 months. If you don't want to try to relactate just for BFing you can always do it in order to pump, even though pumping isnt as efficient. Or you can look into donor milk if you'd like your LO to have breastmilk. Good luck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote