View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Registered Users
Originally Posted by Rossberrie
My baby is currently 4 months old and weighs 13 pounds.
My mother is usually taking care of her more than me due to my full time school senior year college.
She is currently drinking 4 ounces on demand.
I counted her bottles and she is drinking about 30 - 38 ounces of milk.
I feel that is WAY too much.
My mom gives her a bottle whenever she cries ... but is it possible that she is crying because of a stomach ache? too much milk in her stomach?
And she just needs to suck but shoving a bottle will force milk even more?
I don't know what to do =[
That's a massive amount of milk and sadly grandmothers love to feed to soothe. They usually aren't the ones bouncing a baby for two hours because that's what baby needs... The bottle force feeds- so yes, every suck creates a vacuum and more milk enters with each swallow.

And I usually say a baby will drink what's given due to the mechanics. Until they learn that an over stretched tummy isn't comfortable.

I would send her bottles. Inform her no more than a 3 ounce bottle every 2-2.5 hours. Have them pre-made. And send exactly what she should get. I've had a colicky baby and almost always, another method (with effort) can be found.

Grandmas to our kiddies come from a different time though. Where people were feeding kids solids at 4 weeks and forcing food for every cry.

Also- a cry is not a demand. It's ONE of the demands. But babies cry for a plethora of reasons. I would really upset if my baby was being fed the minute they cried, constantly, all day.
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor

Last edited by keen1981; 11-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote