View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #71
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I am seriously not sure what that added of any value to the argument for IV abx in labor to treat GBS. It was so rude and condescending.

I muscled through it anyway.

I noticed the study the author references was using wipes. Seriously? That is ridiculous. I am nearly positive that Hibiclens is used in a different manner than what the study described. Which makes the study totally useless.

I also find his arguments against Hibiclens to be ill-informed, at best. The REASON we're told not to use it is b/c it's not been tested on pregnant/nursing moms. Well, DUH! NO drugs (that I am aware of) are actively tested on pregnant or nursing women b/c of ethical issues... Which makes that point totally useless. If you've ever used Tylenol or Vicks Vapor rub during pregnancy, you have used something that is not studied in pregnant women.

I also noticed that he said that IV abx have helped decrease EARLY ONSET GBS infections. There are late onset infections. And IIRC (and I may not) they can be worse in outcome than early onset. So it makes me wonder how many late onset cases are stopped.... if any at all.

I also find it INCREDIBLY ironic that here the mass population is buying anti-bacterial soaps for their hands, to kill bacteria, and in fact, we're told to wash frequently to help prevent the spread of infectious disease... yet the same logic doesn't apply to our vaginas? Is the vagina somehow amazingly immune to the antibacterial abilities of medicinal soap? Or something?

Sorry, I think linking to a blog, where a guy obviously has an axe to grind against the natural birthing community, and uses mud slinging and strange logic to make a point, and then ends it with:

Quote:
it fulfills the MOST important criteria for an NCB “treatment”; it is a form of ignorant, immature, self absorbed defiance of authority. And if that isn’t a good enough reason for NCB advocates to risk killing their babies, what is?
...is completely pointless.

Things like what we're eating also play a factor. Our immune systems can't handle sugar overload. And the average American diet SUCKS. How about things like garlic? Or the fact that birthing a baby at home, or with minimal medical intervention, lessens the risks of infections spreading altogether? How about the idea that a shorter birth = far less risk to baby? Or the fact that some women will test negative but then ACTUALLY be positive... how do we treat them? Shall we just start assuming all laboring mothers are positive and giving every woman in labor IV abx? (Yay! We've just created resistant super bacteria!)

There are just too many facets of this issue to start throwing around black and white labels. Do what is comfortable to you. But don't damn me for disagreeing and doing something else.

For the sake of argument, here is a blog that references studies that SUPPORT the use of Hibiclens instead of abx (please note, they used it to FLUSH out the vagina, or to douche, NOT as a wipe):

http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespac...gbs-women.html

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote