View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #74
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
it wasn't written by a guy, it is a female. Here is more info about her (from the same site):

"Dr. Amy Tuteur is an obstetrician gynecologist. She received her undergraduate degree from Harvard College in 1979 and her medical degree from Boston University School of Medicine in 1984. Dr. Tuteur is a former clinical instructor at Harvard Medical School. She left the practice of medicine to raise her four children. Her book, How Your Baby Is Born, an illustrated guide to pregnancy, labor and delivery was published by Ziff-Davis Press in 1994. She can be reached at DrAmy5 at aol dot com."

I think it has a lot of interesting and factual information in it for those who would like facts to help them choose.
My apologies, didn't realize it was a female. The writing was so aggressive, my brain automatically assumed it was a male.

Also, I don't see much useful info, for the reasons I listed above. A medical degree does not make a person an expert, it just means they went to school and paid a whole lot of money (and spent a whole lot of time, and worked really hard) for a nice piece of paper to say they are qualified to practice medicine. They don't have to practice evidence-based medicine, or have a good bedside manner, or even have to be good at what they do.

So while I love the fact that she is so smart and is well-educated, it doesn't mean she is right about everything she thinks, despite how passionate she obviously is about it. The fact that she is an OB explains a whole lot about her anger towards NCB, and is a great example of why I won't let an OB touch me unless it is a TRUE medical emergency. It only solidifies my feelings about America's mainstream maternity care.

It's also sad that while she mentioned ONE study in her blog, she didn't chose one that is accurate in the method used, which makes all the claims from the study irrelevant. As pointed out in the blog I linked to, there are obviously at least 3 OTHER studies done, with contradictory evidence. Why is this Dr. not also commenting on those studies? No one is thinking that pouring Hibiclens on a washcloth and wiping their vagina with it is going to make GBS go away. I find it sad that such a well-educated, well-practiced medical professional would be unwilling to discover both sides of an argument, rather than just support the mainstream b/c it is most commonly accepted.

There's nothing wrong with doing things the way everyone else does them, or thinking along with the mainstream. I do a lot of things everyday that are mainstream. The problem comes when the mainstream thinking is wrong, or is flawed. And then anyone who opposes or questions it is a quack. That's not fair at all. Remember, humans thought for a long, LONG time that the Earth was flat. People were put to death for claiming otherwise. And now we know the Earth is actually a sphere. Let's not be so overconfident that we cut off our noses to spite our faces. New ideas should be investigated, not trampled on.

ETA: I also actually think that if you dug just a little more, you likely could have found a blog with studies supporting the use of abx for GBS without such a nasty tone. I googled for like 5 seconds and found the one article supporting Hibiclens, which is very neutral, and leaves the choice up to the mother. There is NO benefit to name calling or a condescending tone. Every person has a basic human RIGHT to decline and accept medical treatments, a doctor's job should be to UPHOLD and HONOR and RESPECT those rights, not make them feel like a crazed fanatical lunatic, looking for an excuse to murder their babies.

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-29-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote