View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

Re: kids eating all day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
My kids used to do this. Honestly, I think asking for food had become a habit, rather than a need. If they could go 3-4 hours between nursing as EBF infants, eating a total of 4 times a day, without a fuss, they can do it now on table food

I finally put my foot down and we eat four times a day, total. Breakfast at 7:00, lunch at 11:00, snack at 2:30, supper at 6:00. Kitchen is closed the rest of the time. They (usually) don't even ask anymore, unless I start caving, then they totally revert back. I can't believe how much food they will eat at a meal now that I insist on this. And how much healthier. They devour their vegetables.

My rules:

They can eat as much or as little of anything served that they want, but I will not make different food to suit someone if they don't like what I serve.

We only eat whole foods. Nothing processed. They can have water whenever they want.

When they leave the table, they must ask to be excused and then that is it, no more food until the next meal (we had a lot of wandering around the kitchen prior to that rule).

Holidays and parties are free for all. I don't worry about when they eat or what. We all need a break sometimes
This sounds like our house! I homeschool and so I think it's even worse when they're here all day. They think they can just wander in and munch whenever they can't think of something else to do. With 6 kids it makes for a constantly messy kitchen and an empty pantry sooner than it needs to be. I try to make sure they have good filling meals and usually offer fruit or veggie for snack in between meals. If my kids are really hungry they'll eat the options I give them, if not they'll make it to the next meal. We do build in special treats (like a special dessert for Fri. night movie night), holidays, and sometimes Sun. mornings before church.

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote