Re: Is it time to give up? :(
Regardless of how your story ends, you are an awesome mama and your daughter is lucky to have you! I wish more moms would fight that hard to feed their babies the natural way but at the same time keeping their best interests at heart when things don't go as planned. BFing may be the natural way to feed babies but it doesnt work for everyone and forcing something that just won't work isn't good either. Kudos to you!
What bottles are you using? My LO had the same choking and gagging problem with the bottle until we found Breastflow Bottles (Bare Bottles look fantastic to if they're out yet). He was breastfed at birth but then bottlefed primarily after spending 3 weeks in the NICU. It took almost 2 months but I was finally able to get him back to the breast and he's now EBF! Here is my advice:
1. Pump pump pump to keep your supply up. If he does end up relatching and you still have a fast letdown/oversupply, spray into a prefold or towel until the crazy spraying stops. It worked well for us and helped him achieve the instant reward since I had already let down
2. Keep trying the breast before each feeding, but stop as soon as she gets angry or upset, justl ike you've been doing.
3. If she's used to the bottle now a nipple shield could help but I caution against it. We need one due to the nipple preference and a recessive chin.
4. You can always try to get her to latch, but if you think it will be less stressful to just EP, don't feel bad. I EPed for DS1 because he rejected the breast and EPed for DS2 since day 2 until 10weeks because of his nipple preference. TBH, it was annoying but pumping wasn't that difficult for me personally this time around. Probably because I was used to it and had a crazy oversupply.
5. Use a BF friendly bottle. I highly recommend Breastflow. It was after switching to those that he finally latched! One day it just happened and he didn't pop off.
6. See a LC (find one your eally like).
7. Used the paced feeding technique for bottle feeding.
I hope your LO is pain free soon mama! If you have any questions about pumping feel free to PM me anytime, I don't know much about BF yet but I have a degree in pumping lol
Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!