View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #80
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,801
Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

I tested GBS + at 37 weeks with DD but didn't find out till 39 weeks because the lab lost the results or something. I was having a homebirth, my midwife suggested the hibi clens washes which I did for 3 days before being retested. It was positive again (found that out 3 days after she was born though lol). The doctor that did the 2nd swab had given me an antibiotic rx anyway so we had those ready. I decided that if labor was prolonged, water broken early in labor etc then we would do the IV abx at home. I also had a urine culture done, if it had come back positive I absolutely would have done the antibiotics as that can indicate a more sever infection that may already be in the amniotic fluid. It was negative though.

As it is I ended up being in labor for just over 3 hours (and I had to have vancomycin which is once every 12 hours given over an hour so not very effective in such a short time anyway), my water broke right before pushing and I birthed in my tub which we had put iodine and hibiclens in. Baby was OK but I was paranoid and watched her like a hawk those first few weeks. If labor had been longer I would have done the abx, but I literally had no warning! lol
__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote