View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I teach her to stand up for herself?

My 4yo DD is in PreK this year. This is her first time in a school setting, and she just LOVES it! A couple weeks ago at the parent-teacher conference the teacher said that DD was doing fantastic, except that she wasn't very assertive when it came to situations where she was uncomfortable. Example: A new girl joined their class who is very touchy and in-your-face. She was trying to play doctor (innocently) with DD and was shoving the stethoscope up DD's shirt. The teacher said that DD was clearly uncomfortable with it but didn't tell the girl to stop, so the teacher had a talk with her about how it was ok to tell someone "No thank you!" if they are doing something she doesn't like. She has NO problem telling us or her brother NO! (numerous times, for everything...) at home, but nonetheless I addressed it when I got home too and reinforced what the teacher had said.

Well today, I was dropping DD off and we were waiting in the entryway for the teacher to come get them, and another boy from DD's class was chasing her and trying to tickle her. Again, DD very clearly didn't want to play but she just kept trying to walk away from him - she never said a word so he kept chasing her (I guess he thought she was playing too?). Since his mom didn't say anything to him, I pulled DD aside and asked if she liked that game - she told me no. So again, I told her she needs to tell the boy she didn't want to play, and she did (though this was at the same time that his mom finally noticed and asked him to stop too).

Anyway, DD is extremely social but she is a huge people-pleaser too. I really don't want DD to get bullied, be a victim, or give in to peer pressure so easily (all scenarios I can see happening with this sort of behavior), so I'd rather try and figure out how to get this situation taken care of now and teach her how to stand up for herself and be more assertive. Suggestions?