View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone use Oak Meadow?

I'm feeling frustrated right now and I'm not sure what to do. If you have read enough of my posts here you probably already know I have two boys, 11 and 7, with special needs. My oldest has actual learning issues as part of his needs but my youngest's needs are purely behavioral (they do affect his ability to focus and learn). My oldest is ahead in some areas, behind in others and while we were doing well when this year started we now seem to have reached an impasse. My youngest is a full year ahead of where the state says he should be but he spends a good deal of his time refusing to work and I had to throw most of his curric out the window and start over at the beginning of our year. Kearnan (11, ASD, anxiety ect) is 5th grade and a little over halfway through but struggling and I don't know how to fix that. He doesn't want to work at all most days. Tharen (7, bipolar and possibly ADHD) is 2nd grade but refuses to actually work many days. He will do math if it is hands on/manipulatives based. He is advanced in reading but hates to read and while he is a great story teller he will not write.

So this is the back ground to my issues. When I began my homeschooling journey years ago I found Oak Meadow and thought it looked beautiful but set the idea aside because I knew it would not work well for Kearnan who learns best from computers and videos vs hands on. As the time came for Tharen to begin his more formal schooling I considered it again but didn't want to be using two separate currics. I knew what I was using for Kearnan was not perfect for Tharen but I just couldn't bring myself to essentially do school twice each day. So here I am several years later and I have done several major overhauls on curriculum and I am wondering what to do next. I still do not know if Oak Meadow would work for Kearnan, it seems very hands on and I'm not sure how it even works in the higher grades. Can I switch a child that has been in a more traditional "school at home" model for most of his education? My real question is for my youngest. I am seriously considering buying the 3rd grade curric for him for next year but I'm on the fence about it. I don't want to buy a curriculum he won't use. That is why I'm looking for some one else who uses it. If you use it what is it like? Do your children like it? What grade is your child? How is it for the older grades? Is there a similar program you like better? Do you buy everything or just the core curriculum?
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote