View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just not sure what my mom should do...

This will be long. My mom works as a paraprofessional with a student with autism in a public elementary school. She is absolutely amazing with special needs kids because she truly cares for them and treats them with complete respect. She has the patience of a saint and never underestimates the students. I really wish she'd go back to school to get a degree in special education because she knows what she's doing with these kids. Unfortunately, because she doesn't have a degree, she is treated like a glorified babysitter.

Today she called me practically in tears because of how her day went. This is not the first time this has happened. The way the child she works with is being treated is just asinine. The "professionals" treat the kid like a science experiment to try out different practices even if the student is clearly not responding well. The professionals purposely try to antagonize the child which causes him to violently lash out. Then they blame the issue on the child instead of their failed approach. They set the kid up to fail in so many ways. This student has never lashed out at my mom. My mom doesn't want to lose her job, but she can't take the situation anymore. She's gone to administration many times for safety issues and the way the child is treated/talked to and she is basically now labeled a troublemaker. The school is under-equipped to work with kids like this.

There is a whole laundry list of things I could tell you about the messed up way the school is handling this child, but I will just share today's. She was told that she is too verbal with the student (the student was totally non-verbal when she started with him two years ago and now he can very clearly communicate his needs, even using complete sentences, my mom spends 6 hours a day with him, while the professionals are only there for maybe 2 of those hours). Her supervisor told her she needs to stop speaking to him like he is a normal student and that she needs to stop talking to him altogether and start using graphic cards. My mom was blown away. The school basically wants the student to regress so that the professional can try out her new graphic card technique.

My mom stays at the job for the insurance and because she cares about the student. Technically she is not allowed to contact the parent, but the things she's seen with the student are totally inappropriate. I haven't even touched the surface because then this would be a novel.

What can she do? If you were the parents, would you want to know? Would she lose her job for going to the parents?

I'm hoping to have her read this after I get some responses. Thank you