View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Re: Contractions in the evening at 18wks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
Ok I might sound like a total ignoramus here, and sorry to hijack this thread, but you ladies drink wine to calm contractions? I have always understood that you stay totally away from any alcohol until perhaps labor (to help you relax). I know its likely the most dangerous in the first trimester, but I didn't know it was so widely accepted for occasional use at all in pregnancy. This is new to me.
The occasional glass of wine is recommended by a lot of midwives now days. You definitely don't want to do it in the first trimester when everything is developing though. In Europe many women do drink some wine during pregnancy (cultural thing) and studies show they have less cases of fetal alcohol syndrome. The problem is it's not known how much is too much for each individual (so they can't say 2 glasses a week or the such as a rule) so they don't want to okay it's use during pregnancy here in the states. You obviously don't want to drink enough to get tipsy or start feeling it but just a little to calm your body/muscles. I get time able contractions at times sometimes for hours straight and for me personally wine is one of the only things, that if other things don't work first, without fail calms my contractions. So if a small glass of wine once in a while keeps me from going into premature labor it is definitely something I will try.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote