View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: updated - baby in 5th percentile at 2months

My son hasn't even been on the weight charts since he was 1 month old. It's always worried me, but our pediatrician asked what my hubby and I were like as babies (answer: also very petite) and she looks at what our baby is doing developmentally. He has always been very strong and alert, which our pediatrician says is what matters. I've had him weighed every month until now (10 months old) and he has always gained regularly at about the same rate. I used to ask about supplementing as well, and our pediatrician would say,

"Does your baby ever nurse and want more than you have?" (answer: no, and if I try to keep nursing when I know he isn't hungry he would spit it up at that age.)
"So if you supplemented your baby would end up getting less breast milk, right? What is more nutritious, breast milk or formula?... Breast milk of course, so if we are worried about nutrition why would we want to give something less nutritious?"

With my pediatrician's advice I've never supplemented and we are all happy. Don't let the numbers get you down. Look at your baby, not everyone else's. I know that's easier said than done, I've had some cries looking at my skinny baby next to fifty-percenters who could steam roll him. But then my slender dude took his first steps at 7 months while my friends were getting sore arms carrying their lil' chunkers

Last edited by Palooka; 12-10-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote