Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dr. Browns bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Dr browns are awesome! I used them for my preemie son, and the preemie nipple is the only one that was slow enough and didn't make him choke. And even though you can only get the preemie nipples online, they don't cost any more than regular nipples. And the bottles are not hard to clean, you wash like any other bottle and the bottles come with an awesome little brush but you don't have to use it. They get clean enough without. And like PP said it is also perfectly okay to just put them in the dishwasher. They also helped his HORRIBLE reflux so much. I ended up being able to breastfeed my son, but I do use bottles sometimes and I would not ever buy another type of bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Mmm I have a dishwasher and chose to wash the parts by hand, just so I knew that I had something clean without having to wait to run the dishwasher and I didn't have any issues. Yes they do have more parts than a regular bottle but for me it was well worth it
This.

I had 34 week twins, and one of them had (has... still, at 6 months) issues with feeding, and he would Bradycardia while mid-feed. He spent a month in the NICU because of this. I went through countless different bottles and nipples, trying to find something that wouldn't cause him to scream, choke, aspirate, or otherwise struggle. We tried Playtex, Medela, Parent's Choice, Breastflow, and the Enfamil nipples from the hospital, just to name a few.
Dr. Brown's PREEMIE flow nipples were like magic. That, and no gas or suction issues - the nipples never collapse.

I'm a pretty lazy person and I'm handling twins alone while DH is deployed. Trust me, I don't "do" difficult unless it's absolutely necessary... and Dr Browns bottles? Not that hard. Yes, I'm paranoid about getting the pieces clean, so I alternate between using the dishwasher and hand washing with pipe cleaners and then sanitizing in a microwave steam bag, to ensure that they're periodically being cleaned extra-well. Even then, it takes 5 minutes and is not a big deal.

I've heard they're not great for switching between breast and bottle, but he had such issues BFing anyway that it wasn't something I noticed. Now, at 6 months, he'll switch between these and the breast effortlessly.
If you'll strictly be using formula (or pumping) then don't worry about it.

For my other son, just about anything works... but I still use Dr. Brown's with him too.

Good luck, mama!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote