Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chocolate CHip cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
Anybody have any suggestions for improving my chocolate chip cookies. I'd like them to be fluffier/thicker. After they puff in the oven, thay always fall flat again. They taste good but I'd like them thicker.

I usually make them with all butter. Today I used half butter, half crisco. It helped a little, I guess.

Any thoughts?
I had the same problem for a couple of months. My cookies always came out good then all of a sudden this past summer they were always coming out flat and I wasn't sure what happened. But I finally figured it out how to get mine to come out good again. I added a bit more flour, and I rolled the cookies in balls instead of flattening them. Those were the main things. I'm not sure if the temperature/elevation/type of oven had something to do with it, but I use the Betty Crocker recipe (I think) with slightly more flour now, and I make them in a slightly different order. I usually mix the egg first, then add the butter (which must be either room temperature or softened - not hard, or all liquid) & sugar and mix, then add flour & baking powder, then add chocolate chips. Roll in balls. I can usually tell now by the consistency of the dough whether or not they are going to turn out - the dough shouldn't stick to my hands or be a challenge to roll into balls.

I use:

1 egg
1 stick of butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C white sugar
1 & 1/3 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C chocolate chips
(can add vanilla too, I don't bother adding b/c it's expensive so we don't always have it on hand)

Last edited by mel j; 12-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote