View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #70
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Bekki I could totally see doing 36 but 90! Holy bat poo, can you imagine cleaning the coops!

Sarah, nope def not a pure ameraucana. Maybe a leghorn cross? That would explain it being so big. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, what a neat natural planting that would make!

Michelle... AHHHHH! They are so cute! Forgot to take a pic of our babies today. Crazy day, maybe tomorrow.

So my fruitcake chickens, it's pouring rain right... just... buckets.. well I go out to collect eggs and expect to find them inside dry and warm. nope, they're out fighting over the prime locations in a mud bog they've created. Desert chickens. Tonight that came back to bite them in the butt. I had put hen aprons on some of the girls that were the most moth-eaten between fred and the plucking hens. Had to take those off, soaked. They got themselves so wet and muddy that they were soaked clean down to the skin. I checked them a couple hours after they went to bed, nope, still soaking wet. No heat source since my lamp's in the baby brooder and nothing to sub in. I had to take a tiny ceramic space heater we use for the camper out there and put it up on the shelf by their door for a few hours just to get them to dry out. They're still quite muddy but at least their fluff is mostly dry now. Dummies! Don't worry, it's out now and I was checking on them every 1/2 hr or so to make sure all was ok when it was running. Temp keeps dropping and it's raining slushy stuff, trying to snow. They sure gave me a scare tonight. Guess I'll be looking to order a ceramic heat bulb as well.